Hi, sewing folks! I’m just about ready to upgrade my machine and I would love your input :).
My clunky little Brother BM 2600 machine has been okay so far, but it’s probably seven years old now and coming to the end of its life; it’s rather bottom-of-the-range and I’m really starting to notice its limitations.
I want to invest in a better quality machine for dressmaking that will last longer and continue to produce good results, but I don’t want to spend a killing. I’m aiming for around $350 – $450 AUD.
Things I want:
- Accurate basic stitches.
- Fast stitching.
- Able to handle multiple layers.
- Accurate throat plate (!)
- Availability of different feet.
- Reputable brand and good service.
- Quality of construction.
Things I don’t particularly care about and would not pay more for these features alone:
- Computerised – can anyone explain why this is useful/necessary? Not really interested in quilting.
- A billion stitch options – I pretty much only ever use straight, zig-zag, elastic zig-zag, buttonhole and blind hem. Again, not really interested in quilting (or embroidery).
So far I’m leaning towards the Janome DC2050 (yes it’s computerised, but seems a similar price to other mechanical machines with similar features). Does anyone have this machine and can rave about it for me?
What machine do you use? Any other suggestions?