Burda 7051, no. 2

Since my Belcarra post, which my Dad kindly photographed for me (thanks, Dad!), I’ve not had access to a good camera. I’ve had to make do with my iPhone, which just doesn’t quite cut it. I personally much, much prefer the sewing blogs that have nice photos to accompany them. I don’t know, maybe it’s because they look more professional or something? Not that I doubt the sewing ability of people who do use iPhone photos, but I just think nice photos are *prettier*, and I wouldn’t dream of submitting you, dear reader, to anything less than sublime.

burda1-collageAnyway, as I mentioned at the end of my last post, I recently had the chance for an awesomely fun, totally casual, FREE proper photoshoot with a good friend of my husband-to-be. Not only does she have a fancy camera with a selection of fancy big lenses, she also has seriously awesome photography and direction skills. After a couple of hours of somehow magically transforming awkward, non-model me into camera-happy, comfortable, almost-model me, she even took the time to edit a heap of the best ones and make them “web-size” for me. If you’re reading this, Pam, THANK YOU! I am truly appreciative of all of it!

So, now that I have a whole bunch of photos of my work, I can happily get back into blogging about it. Yay!

So today’s post is a follow-on from my last Burda blouse, where I thought the armholes and neckline were possibly a bit too tight. I decided to make the same pattern in the next size up, and also invent my own scoopy neckline to it. I also added a couple of centimetres length to the bottom. Let’s see how it turned out:

burda2-front

Not too bad – from the front, at least! And from a distance! Up close, you can see the neckline did a weird stretchy thing and there’s all these wrinkles radiating out from the centre. I’m not sure why. Any suggestions would be helpful!

From the back, the fit is a bit of a different story:

burda2-illfitting back

Basically, it’s just too big. I should have kept it at the smaller size. It goes all gapey between my shoulder blades and puffs up weirdly. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not terrible, and I wear this top a lot, but it’s just not quite tailored to fit me. Maybe I need to make the back in one size, and the front in the bigger size? Not sure.

It has a zip up the middle of the back (yes! I did sew another zip, and this time it wasn’t even wonky!), so that might be contributing to the stiffness of the gapey part. I do think, though, that if I make this top again, I’ll try to do a lapped zipper because this one is just oh-so-visible!

burda2-back-edit

This top was made out of a cute printed cotton that I got from the “kids’ fabric” section at Lincraft. It’s super comfy to wear and boy, was it EASY to sew with, especially after the slippery madness of my other Burda!

As I said in my other Burda 7051 post, the pattern is beautifully easy and clear. I like how it includes the neat bias-binding finish of the armholes and neckline. I would also like to try and make a lined version of this top one day. I think, fitted properly, it could be quite an elegant piece.

burda2-collage3

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Burda 7051, no. 2

  1. I love your blog, your posts are beautiful! I just followed you, it would be great if we can support each other 🙂 I am so glad I got to discover you ❤

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s